What is a CDL License?

In short, a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) shows carriers and employers that you are a licensed and competent Professional Truck Driver.

Operating certain commercial motor vehicles requires specialized skills and knowledge. Prior to implementation of the Commercial Driver’s License Program, anyone with a license to drive a car could also legally drive a tractor-trailer or a bus in a number of states. In circumstances where a classified licensing system was available, students weren’t tested in vehicles similar to the kind they’d use. As a result, many drivers were operating motor vehicles that they may not have been qualified to drive.

What type of CDL do I need?

While the type of license is dependent on the type of work you’re looking for, Roadmaster courses are primarily focused on the Class A CDL license. which is required for over-the-road (OTR) Professional Truck Drivers.

Why do I need a CDL?

The Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986 was signed into law on October 27, 1986. The goal of the Act is to improve highway safety by ensuring that drivers of large trucks and buses are qualified to operate those vehicles and to remove unsafe and unqualified drivers from the highways.

The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) has developed and issued standards for testing and licensing commercial motor vehicle drivers. Among other things, the standards require states to issue a Class A CDL to a commercial motor vehicle driver only after the driver passes knowledge and skills tests.

How do a Class A CDL and a Class B CDL differ?

Class A CDL License – Any combination of vehicles weighing 26,001 or more pounds provided the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds. You also need this license to drive across state lines.

Careers that require a Class A CDL include but are not limited to:

  • Interstate Tractor-Trailer Driver
  • Intrastate Tractor-Trailer Driver

Class B CDL License – Any single vehicle weighing  26,001 or more pounds towing a vehicle, not in excess of 10,000 pounds while driving only in the state in which it was issued.

Careers that require a Class B CDL include but are not limited to:

  • Local Delivery Driver
  • Dump Truck Driver
  • Bus Driver

By submitting this form you are expressly consenting to our Terms of Use. You are also expressly consenting to have Roadmaster Drivers School (the “Company”) or its representative, including its Affiliated Companies, Partners, and third-party service providers (collectively, “Affiliates”), contact you about your inquiry or about the products and services offered by this Company, its Affiliated Companies, partners, and third-party providers. You are further consenting that such contact may be by text message or phone (including by use of automatic telephone dialing system(s) or an artificial or prerecorded voice) to the residential or cellular telephone number you have provided above, even if such number is listed on a corporate, state or national Do Not Call Registry. You do not have to agree to receive such calls or messages as a condition of receiving any services from Roadmaster Drivers School or its Affiliates. All calls to and from Roadmaster Drivers School or its affiliates may be monitored or recorded for quality assurance and compliance purposes. For additional information concerning the above contents please see our Terms of Use page.. View our Privacy Policy by clicking here.

*wage information provided by Werner Enterprises