Becoming a Truck Driver in San Antonio
Learn how to get a CDL in San Antonio, Texas, and become a professional truck driver in a matter of weeks.
Becoming a Truck Driver in San Antonio, TX
There are many benefits of becoming a professional trucker in San Antonio. You get the freedom to travel, a good work-life balance, and a good starting salary. Texas’s average tractor-trailer truck driver makes around $50,000 per year — well above the national average.
So how do you become a San Antonio trucker? How long does it take? How much money does it cost? Roadmaster Drivers School — the San Antonio driving school that could help you launch your transportation career in weeks — has the answers to these questions and more. Read on to learn how to get a CDL in San Antonio.
What You Need to Know
There are three requirements for becoming a truck driver in San Antonio, TX:
- You must be over 18 for intrastate driving or over 21 if you want to drive a truck across the Texas border.
- It would help if you enrolled in a truck driving school.
- You need to obtain a Class A Commercial Driving License (Class A CDL or CDL, for short).
Why Do You Need a Class A CDL in San Antonio?
Your Class A CDL proves you can operate three types of commercial motor vehicles: Tractor-trailers, truck and trailer combinations, and flatbeds.
Having a CDL is required by all San Antonio trucking companies. To get this certification, you need to go to a truck driving school. Pick the right one, and you could get your CDL in a matter of weeks. Before you enroll, make sure you have the correct documents:
- A Social Security card or other proof of eligibility to work in the United States. (Don’t have a social security card? Apply here.)
- A valid Texas driver’s license. (Don’t have one? Apply here.)
You must also pass a vision test, satisfy physical fitness requirements, complete a medical certification form, be drug-free.
How to Get a CDL in San Antonio
The Class A CDL certification includes three parts:
- Five knowledge tests
- Hands-on training
- A final exam/skills test
You need to pass five knowledge tests on these topics: Texas Commercial Rules, General Knowledge, Combination, Air Brake, and Endorsements.
Your driving school will provide hands-on training so you can operate a tractor-trailer, truck and trailer combination, or flatbed on public highways.
To get your CDL, you will take a final exam called a CDL skills test. It includes three parts: A pre-trip inspection, basic control skills, and the road test.
This might seem like a lot to accomplish, but don’t worry. Truck driving schools in San Antonio help you prepare for every component of your CDL. If you put the work in, you can become a San Antonio truck driver in a matter of weeks and start earning money.
What Happens After You Get Your CDL in San Antonio?
Once you complete your training and obtain a Class A CDL, you can start applying for jobs or training programs with trucking companies in San Antonio or elsewhere. It is always a good idea to choose a truck driving school that has close ties with top trucking carriers to increase your chances of employment after graduation.
How to Choose a Truck Driving School in San Antonio, TX
Choose a truck driving school in San Antonio that:
- Prepares you for the knowledge and skills tests.
- Provides you with hands-on truck driving training.
- Has connections with trucking companies, so you can find a job near you.
Why Choose Roadmaster Drivers School in San Antonio?
Roadmaster Drivers School has helped over 150,000 drivers obtain a Class A CDL over the last 29 years, including many people like you in San Antonio. Here are some benefits of enrolling in its CDL program:
- Unlike some other San Antonio truck driving schools, Roadmaster provides in-house financing to those who qualify to help cover the cost of tuition.
- Roadmaster has strong links with various trucking companies, and reps from these companies often meet students during training.
- State-of-the-art classrooms enhance the learning experience.
- Get real behind-the-wheel experience by training in the latest commercial motor vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions.
- Instructors with genuine trucking knowledge.
- Get your Class A CDL in a month!
Getting a CDL in Texas may be easier than you think. The top truck driving schools in San Antonio can help you achieve your Class A CDL so you can start an exciting new career in transportation.