Class A CDL License Training and Truck Driving Classes

CDL Training at Roadmaster Drivers School

CDL training at Roadmaster specializes in teaching the necessary skills to begin driving a truck professionally. Our truck driving school will provide students with both the hands on training and cdl knowledge needed to properly and safely operate a truck.

  • Hands-on time driving a truck at our practice facilitiy as well as on the road.
  • Map reading, trip planning, and compliance with Department of Transportation laws
  • Backing, turning, hooking a trailer, and over the road training driving a truck
  • Advanced truck driving techniques such as skid avoidance and recovery
  • Other emergency actions for special situations such as a break away trailer or hydroplaning

What sets Roadmaster apart from other CDL training schools?

Roadmaster is highly respected among CDL training schools, because for over twenty years we have proudly trained thousands of great truck drivers to make a living driving a truck! We are committed to helping future truckers pass the CDL knowledge and skills tests and get their new career on the road in as few as 3 weeks!

  • CDL Training by Roadmaster instructors
  • Comprehensive & hands-on truck driver training
  • Top-notch practice equipment, facilities and instructors
  • On-site recruiters! Check out our scheduled hiring events!
  • Job placement Assistance
  • 3-4 week classes that focus on CDL training and CDL license exam preparation
  • 13 training locations nationwide
  • Financial assistance for those who qualify
  • Trucking companies may offer reimbursement for truck driver training programs. Many trucking companies will pre-hire students and reimburse training costs as long as they are that company's employee.
  • All truck driving school locations have administrative offices, spacious classrooms, and computer labs. The schools maintain specially designed field-driving courses for driving a truck where students practice backing, coupling, uncoupling, and docking tractor trailers. Roadmaster provides equipment for Commercial Driver Licensing (CDL license) testing at all locations. Roadmaster truck driving school owns a fleet of late model tractor-trailers used exclusively for student training. All equipment is operated under licensing of the states in which they are registered.

Commercial Driver Regulations

Drivers of Commercial Motor Vehicles must adhere to the hours of service, which are regulations governing the driving hours of commercial drivers. These, and all other rules regarding the safety of interstate commercial driving, are issued by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). The FMCSA is also a division of the United States Department of Transportation (USDOT), which governs all transportation-related industries such as trucking, shipping, railroads, and airlines. Some other issues are handled by another branch of the USDOT, the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA).

How do I get my Commercial Drivers License?

States are able to issue a CDL License only after a written and driving test have been given by the state or approved testing facility. The minimum age to apply for a CDL license is usually 21, as required by the US Department of Transportation, although some states may allow drivers who are 18-20 to apply for a CDL that is valid only within the Drivers state of residence. A single state CDL license only restricts driving of CMVs within the holder's state (not non-commercial vehicles), and automatically converts to a 50 state CDL license at the age of 21.

What type of CDL License should you train for?

Since April of 1992, all drivers have been required to have a CDL in order to drive a Commercial Motor Vehicle. Tractor-trailers require advanced skills and knowledge above and beyond those required to drive a car or other light weight vehicle.

  1. Class A CDL License: is needed to operate any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
    • Vehicles requiring a Class A CDL license are primarily tractor-trailers.
  2. Class B CDL License: is needed to operate any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or less pounds or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds. Vehicles requiring a Class B CDL license may include:
    • Cars with trailers, buses (regardless of size), passenger vans and motorhomes
    • Standard-sized dump trucks, tow trucks, cement mixers and garbage trucks
    • Delivery trucks and utility trucks
    • Or any single vehicle with GVWR of 26,001 lbs. or more, and vehicle is not towing an excess of 10,000 lbs. GVWR

Roadmaster Locations

Call us at 1-800-831-1300

Let's Get Started

Call us at 1-800-831-1300 or fill out the brief form below to submit your information to our CDL Training admissions center. A Roadmaster representative will review your information and contact you to answer all of your questions and set up a date for you to visit the school location nearest you.

Your first name is required. No numbers allowed.
Your last name is required. No numbers allowed.
A valid phone number is required.
A valid email address is required.
Your zip code is required.

By submitting this form you are expressly consenting to our Terms of Use and that you may be contacted by a representative via telephone, email or SMS Text